Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Governor Fashola Speaks.





Fashola Addresses Coalition Of Youths For Good Governance

Feb 1, 2010 - Dear Lagosians, I feel compelled to address you this morning in the interest if our common good.

It is public knowledge that certain unsavory publications have been making the rounds impugning the reputations and integrity of members of different arms of our Government, the Nigerian Bar Association and our leaders.

I believe that at the appropriate time and at the appropriate forum we will defend ourselves.

Let us all remember that the June 12 Election was annulled by an unsigned press release like the faceless advert that was recently issued and we are yet to recover from it. Lagos is not in any crises. There are urgent national issues to be resolved and our attention must not be diverted from finding a solution.

I respect the right of citizens to protest and to show concern about what happens in our State but I must caution that rallies and protests at this stage may seem pre-emptive. Particularly, I feel the need to state that we must all remember that the foundations for good governance which we are all concerned about has been built on peace and stability which we have all worked hard to secure and this must never be compromised.

Importantly, I am concerned that the information highway has been used to malign the person of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu in a manner which I humbly think is undeserving. I wish to advise us to be very reluctant to cast the stone of judgment.

Whatever may be our personal opinions, I am certain that we will not disagree on one fact. The fact is that but for the Grace of God, the courage of Asiwaju and your votes, I would not be Governor.

If we have achieved so much together, we must pause to reflect and realize that Asiwaju is certainly not the villain some unscrupulous and faceless people are using the media to portray him as. Asiwaju stood up for Lagos, for you and for me when it mattered most. This is not the reward he deserves.

I am also convinced that men and women of the State House of Assembly are persons of character who will act in your best interest at all times because you elected them to represent you.

A rally in my name to support me against Asiwaju is not called for because there is no contest or conflict. Those who want to beat drums of war should kindly do so outside our State.

I urge those who have chosen to hide behind text messages to desist from inciting our people needlessly and I urge all law abiding citizens to be more circumspect about those messages and faceless adverts issues through the media.

Finally, in the name of all that is decent, I appeal to all Lagosians to allow peace to reign so that we can continue our development work. This is our biggest challenge as a people and we need all hands on deck to achieve it.

I thank you all sincerely in anticipation of your acceptance of this appeal for the progress of dear State.

Eko o ni baje!

Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN
Governor of Lagos State

No comments: